JOHANNESBURG – Mango Airlines flight crew have embarked on a strike on Monday morning after wage negotiations collapsed.
Trade union Solidarity met with Mango’s management on Sunday to try to reach a settlement.
The meeting failed to find a solution.
The following disruptions are affecting Mango customers on Monday morning:
- Flight JE 534 from Port Elizabeth to Johannesburg, which is meant to depart at 8.25am, has been cancelled.
- The 6am flight from Durban to Lanseria has been delayed to 8.35am.
- The 8.55am flight from Cape Town to Johannesburg is now only scheduled to depart at 10.40am.
- The 9.30am flight from Cape Town to Lanseria has been delayed by two hours.
- Several afternoon flights on the Johannesburg, Port Elizabeth and Durban routes have been cancelled.
Solidarity represent 95 percent of the pilots at Mango airline.
Workers are demanding 8.5 percent but Mango is offering six percent.
Solidarity says the collapse of negations has left them with no choice but take to the streets.
It says Mango’s behaviour shows it’s not committed to accommodate its qualified employees.