Four suspects including a scrap yard owner were arrested in Germiston for theft of railway components.
The first suspect led Metrorail Protection Services to a scrap yard where two foreign nationals were arrested. The following components were found: 144 railways screws, 2 x plates,3 x clips, 50 meter copper cable and 2x brass bar of train accelerator mechanism. The first suspect, a South African national, was found in possession of a traction motor cable.
All three suspects were arrested on Tuesday, 04 October 2017 and detained at Germiston Police Station. In Ekurhuleni, at Oosrand station, Security Officials arrested one suspect for theft of aluminium cable covers and he was detained at Boksburg Police Station.
“Metrorail is pleased with the successful arrests of these suspects and hope that they will be handed down harsh sentences that will send a strong message to all criminal elements that target the railway environment and inconvenience thousands of South Africans. We are concerned that people who steal railway components are oblivious to the impact of their action on people’s jobs and the economy of Gauteng. We also call upon communities to work with law enforcement agencies to bring the perpetrators to book,” read the statement.
For their own safety, commuters are advised that the following are prohibited in terms of the Legal Succession Act:
- Removing any rail assets without lawful authority.
- Presence within Metrorail precincts without a valid ticket.
- Smoking on trains/stations is prohibited.
- Disobeying reasonable instructions by Metrorail employees.
- Acting in any manner that could cause injury, death or damage to Metrorail property.
- Crossing railway lines illegally.
- Wilful obstruction/hindering a Metrorail employee to execute their duties.
- Placing any part of one’s body closer than one meter from live equipment.
Metrorail encourages commuters and the public at large to report all crime incidents to Security and Protection Services on (012) 315 2566/2777 Gauteng North or (011) 774 8566/7/8.